THE SCANCRIT MANOEUVRE

Feeding nasogastric tubes into the oesophagus can in some sedated or comatose patient’s be surprisingly hard or even impossible. One method I found works almost every time is reaching deep into the intubated patient´s mouth with two fingers.

That way you can feel the NG-tube entering the nasopharynx on the top of your fingertips. Then, using your fingers, you can often guide the NG-tube into the oesophagus. Instead of it just curling up in the patient’s mouth.

This entry was posted in Anesthesia, Emergency Medicine. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to THE SCANCRIT MANOEUVRE

1. Thomas D says:

The ScanCrit manoevre?… Long night shift, K?

• K says:

Hmmm….I might have lost perspective in the wee hours of the morning.

Still, while I no longer claim having invented this method, I take great pride in having discovered it´s eponymous name.

2. Casey says:

Or you find the most enthusiastic med student and ask them to ” intubate now, quick, put pressure on them….”
    Then just slide the NG tube down the ETTA – guaranteed to be in the orsophagus 99% of the time.

• K says:

Casey, interesting method. But why not hand them ´the special tube´to begin with. That way they will intubate the ´trachea´ with a NG-tube and you don´t have to bother with swapping tubes.

Having said that, I have had a few´capnograph malfunctions´ myself that were resolved by reintubating.

3. Driver Robbie says:

Thanks, I’ll try this one out . Nothing fills me with more frustration than the fruitless battle with a gastric tube that refuses to go where it is told!

4. Andy Neill says:

When I used to do ICU, someone showed me to do this – really useful tip. We also kept NG tubes in the fridge so that they retained their stiffness a bit longer.

5. Sa'ad Lahri says:

Hi
    Thanks
    Try grabbing the larynx either side and lifting it up (anteriorly) . I call it the “gullet” manoeuvre.

Regards